For patenting your Invention, the following steps must be taken:
1- Invention disclosure must be filled. It is a contract between the inventors and CINTEH to protect the
invention from disclosure.
2- CINTECH will perform a pre-filing search to make sure that the invention meets patents criteria Protection
and S.T.A.R.T Evaluation system will be applied. STARTE assesses objectively the likelihood that new
technologies will be of interest to potential licensees.
3- If protection is justifiable, researcher must fill in the following documents to be presented to the Egyptian
• Deposit Record of Patent Application Documents
• Application for a Patent or Utility Certificate
• Patent / Utility Form Arabic Abstract
• Patent / Utility Form English Abstract
• Full Description of the Patent
• Workplace information sheet
What is Intellectual property (IP)?
Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind: inventions, literary and artistic works, and
symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce.
What are IP Rights:
Intellectual property rights are the rights given to persons over the creations of their minds. They usually give the creator an exclusive right over the use of his/her creation for a certain period of time.
What are the most common Types of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)?
• Patent: A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that
provides, in general, a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem.
In order to be patentable, the invention must fulfill certain conditions
• Copyright: Copyright is a legal term describing rights given to creators for their literary and artistic work.
• Trademark: A trademark is a recognizable sign, design or expression which identifies products or services
of a particular source from those of others.
• Trade secret: A trade secret can be a formula pattern device or other information which is used in
business and gives an opportunity to obtain an advantage over competitors.
• Designs: Designs protect the appearance of a product/logo, from the shape of an aeroplane to a fashion
What is Technology Transfer?
It is the process of transferring scientific findings from the Academia to Industry for the purpose of practical application and commercialization
What is Commercialization?
Commercialization is the process of getting your invention, whether patented or not, to the market.
What are possible Commercialization options?
• Licensing: It is granting exploitation rights over a patent/invention to a licensee which is an already
• Assignment: Assignment is the sale and transfer of ownership of the patent by the assignor to the
• Start up: A start-up is a company typically created to develop a particular technology for commercialization
and it is designed to search for a repeatable and scalable business model.
What are Spin-outs?
Spin-outs (Spin-offs or Starburst) is a firm formed when an employee or group of employees leaves an existing entity to form an independent start-up firm.
1- Info about intellectual property: www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/
2- Research, Development and Innovation program: http://www.rdi.eg.net/Pages/Default.aspx
3- Social fund for development: http://www.sfdegypt.org/web/sfd/home
4- Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT): http://www.asrt.sci.eg/
5- German aid agency: http://www.giz.de/en/