Faculty of Engineering research areas
Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Systems
- Development of integrated circuits for wireless power transfer systems
- Development of low phase noise CMOS oscillators for millimeter wave applications
- Sensors electronics
- Radio frequency transceivers design
- RF-CMOS Front-end (LNA, PA, Mixer, VCO, VGA)
Digital System Architecture and Design
- Application specific, reconfigurable, and embedded architectures
- Networks-on-Chip, Network processor and router architectures
- Parallel and multi-core systems
- Ultra low power and energy efficient architecture design
- High Performance Computing/Processing Systems
- Security Architectures/Secure Design of Embedded Systems
- Neuromorphic computing
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265)
- Embedded Machine Vision Systems
- Wireless Body Area Networks
Digital Signal Processing
- Image and Video Processing
- Speech and Audio processing
- Multi-dimension Signal Processing and Stochastic Processes
- Multimedia Systems
- Pattern Recognition
- Computer Vision and Image Analysis
- Adaptive Filtering Design
- Sparse Signal Processing and Applications
- Compressive sensing
- Biomedical Signal Processing
Wireless Communication Systems
- 5G Communication System
- Broadband Wireless Systems
- PHY Layer Design
- Coding for Communication Systems
- Cognitive and Software-Defined Radio
- PHY Layer Security
- Wireless-Optical Communications
Photonics Communications Systems
- Silicon Photonics and Photonic Crystals
- Visible-Light Communications (VLC)
- Free-Space Optics (FSO)
- Digital Signal Processing for Optical Communications
- Optical Space-Division Multiplexing (SDM).
- Coherent Light wave Systems
- Optical Transport and Access Networks
- Information Theory and Coding
Microwave Engineering and Remote Sensing
- Wireless Power Transfer Systems
- Nano- Antennas and Passive Devices
- Antenna and Resonators for Imaging Technologies
- Microwave and 60GHz mm Wave Antennas and Circuits
- Antenna and Rectennas for IOT Applications
- Energy harvesting for Implantable and wearable devices
- Diagnostic and therapeutic Electromagnetic Applications
- Smart Antennas and Adaptive Antenna Arrays
- Antennas for Medical Applications
- Antenna Imaging Technologies
- Antenna System for 5G Communication
- Frequency and Time Domain Techniques for Antenna and Microwave Devices
- Reconfigurable Antennas and Arrays
- Novel Electromagnetic Materials
- Remote Sensing and Satellite Observation
- High Performance Computing
- Heterogeneous Systems/Accelerators
- HPC on the Cloud
- High Performance Embedded Systems/Edge Computing
- Big Data Processing and Knowledge Discovery from Data
- Parallelizing Compilers
- Dynamic Binary Translation
- Cloud Security/Homomorphic Encryption
- Analytical Performance Modelling
- Quantum Computing
- Neuro-Processing Acceleration
- Machine Learning
- Computer-Aided Drug Design
- Road Traffic Control, Modeling, and Simulation
- Computational Robotics
- Human Activity Recognition
- Rigorous Simulation of Dynamical Systems
- Computable Analysis
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- AI and Multi-Agent Systems
- Natural Language Understanding
- Computational Intelligence
Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
- Object/Person/Face Detection
- Object/Face Recognition
- Object/People Tracking
- Human Activity Recognition
- Optical Character Recognition
- Image Segmentation
- Feature Detection/Description/Matching
- Video Surveillance
- Large-Scale Visual Recognition
- Vision Computing on Modern Parallel Architectures
Theory and Analysis of Algorithms
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Data Structures
- Graph Algorithms
- Queuing models
- Matrix analytic method
- Markov decision processes
- Performance evaluation and optimization
- Surgical Robots
- Rehabilitation Robots and Assistive Devices
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Prosthetic Devices
- Smart Medical Devices
- Bio-Inspired Robots
Magnetic Suspension and Bearing Systems
- Control of Magnetic Bearing Systems
- Applications of Magnetic Bearing in Medical Field
- Magnetically Levitated Wind Turbine
- Robots with Magnetic Bearing Joints
- Vibration Isolation Systems Using Magnetic Suspension
- Self-Bearing (Bearingless) Motors.
Intelligent Mechatronics Systems
- Flying/Walking Robot.
- Tele-Operation Systems.
- Aerial Manipulation Systems
- Multi-Locomotion Robots
- Legged Robots
- Wearable Vehicle
- Brain-Based Devices
- Micro/Nano Manipulation
- Parallel Manipulators
- Swarm Robots
- Intelligent control of Smart Actuators
- Nonlinear Vibration Systems
- Smart Structures
Field and Service Robots
- Mobile Robot Exploration, Navigation and Control
- Rescue Robots
- Inspection Robot
- Climbing Robots
- Robot Motion Control in Unstructured Area
- Landmines Detection Robots
- Indoor Service Robot.
- Insect-Killing Robot
- Solar Powered Rover
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, AUV
- Agriculture Robots
- Mining Robots
- Forestry Robots
- Construction Robots
Micro/Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems
- Tactile Sensing Systems
- Smart Sensor/ Actuators
- Energy Harvesting Devices
- Micro Flying Robot
- Microfluidics Systems
- Integrated Berth Allocation and Quay Crane Assignment in Container Terminals.
- Green Vehicle Routing Problem/Pollution Routing Problem.
- Operations Research Application in Healthcare Planning and Management.
- Production Planning and Operations Management.
- Inventory Control Systems.
- Modeling and Simulation of Metal Cutting Processes.
- Chatter Occurrence in Cutting Processes.
- Characterization of Ultrasonic-Assisted Milling.
- Ultrasonic-Assisted Machining of Hard-to-Cut Materials.
- Abrasive Water Jet Machining.
Nano-materials for energy, sensing, environmental and electronic applications
- Perovskite, CTS, Organic and Quantum Dot Photovoltaic Solar Cells: Fundamental Investigation & Device Engineering.
- Nanomaterials for Gas Sensing Applications; Fundamental Investigation& Device Engineering.
- Carbon Nanostructured Materials (Graphene, Carbon Nanofibers and CNTs): Synthesis, Charactrization and Device Engineering in Supercacitors/Batteries/Fuel Cells applications.
- Nano-Piezo Electronic Materials: Approaches to Energy Scavenging.
- Strain Gauge Sensors: Materials and Fabrications.
- Thin Film and Bulk Nanostructured Thermoelectric Materials.
- Plasmonic Nanostructuted Materials as Photo-thermal Membranes.
- CNTs and Graphene-Based Materials for printed and Flexible Electronic Application.
- Photocatalysis and Environmental Catalysis for Hydrogen Generation and Fisher Tropcsh Synthesis.
- Modeling and Simulation of Nanostructured Materials for Science and Energy Systems.
- Corrosion and Super-hydrophobic Coatings with Self-heating Properties.
- Chitosan, Chitosan-Nanoparticles and Nanofibers Preparation and Characterization For Tissue Engineering And Drug Systems
Mechanics of materials: Modeling, Simulation and characterization (properties, stress, strain and displacement)
- Mechanics of Friction Stir Welding of Similar and Dissimilar Materials
- Mechanical Electrical Properties of Biological Materials and Heart Tissues
- Mechanics of Microforming and Micro-Laser Drilling
- Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Hydroxyapatite
- Modeling and Simulation of Nano-Pieso Electric Materials
- Multi-Physics and Multi-Scale Analysis Techniques.
- Evolution of Boundary Elements in Fracture Mechanics
- Material Models On Macro and Micro Levels
- Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Composites and Nano-Composites
- Laser Processing of Steels and Carbon fibers
- Hot Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites
- Formability of Ultrafine-Grained Structures
- Mechanical Processing of New TWIP Stainless Steels
- Evaluation of The Fatigue Performance of New High Strength Materials For Structural Engineering Applications
- Crashworthiness and structural dynamics
- Coatings and Piezoelectric thin films
- Polymer Nano composites and ternary rubbers
- Ultra-High Strength, Super-Alloys and High Entropy Alloys
- Dental, Bio-Implants, And Bio-Degradable Metallic Materials
- Bulk-Nanostructure Materials and Severe Plastic Deformation
- Improved Castability and Cold Workability of Metals and Alloys
- Shape Memory and Superelastic Alloys for Sensing, Biomedical, And Structural Application
- Metal and Metal-Oxides Nano-Tubes and Nano-Rods (Production, Characterization and Applications
- Structural High Temperature Alloys for Power Plants Applications (Design, Production and Characterization)
- Bulk-Nanostructured Thermo-Electric Alloys
- Metals and Alloys for Radiation Sensing And Shielding
- High Temperature Superconductors
Renewable Energy Systems
- Renewable energy driving systems
- Solar cooling systems
- Solar energy utilization in water harvesting from atmospheric air
- Renewable energy- driven seawater desalination
- Solar energy storage using adsorption technology
- Solar systems for energy-efficient housing
- Renewable energy-based hybrid adsorption-vapor compression refrigeration systems
- Thermal regulation of PV systems using nanotechnology
- Smart Energy Grids
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Power plants and thermal compart
- Multi-phase flows
- Flow in porous media
- Heat and mass transfer with applications to energy systems
- Computational fluid dynamics and heat transfer
- Heat pipe
- desalination systems
- micro-and nano scale flows
- multiscale computations (continuum-meso), molecular dynamic simulation
Alternative Energy Systems
- Fuel cell technology
- Proton exchange membrane fuel cells
- Direct methanol fuel cells
- Solid Oxide fuel cells
- Solar Hydrogen production
- Photoelectrochemical cells
- Photovoltaic/photoelectrochemical cells
Fuel and Combustion Engines
- Spray and liquid atomization,
- Alternative fuels and combustion performance,
- Internal combustion engines,
- Gas turbine performance enhancement,
- Biomass characterization and utilization,
- Combustion of low-grade fuels,
- Nanoparticles synthesis
- Integrated renewable-combustion-based energy systems
Energy Storage Systems
- Thermal energy storage
- Mechanical energy storage
- Electrochemical energy storage
- Hydrogen storage
- Energy storage systems for grid support
Energy Conservation and Management
- Electric Vehicle and fuel cell vehicle energy management systems
- Energy management strategies for PV-wind–Fuel cell- energy storage hybrid systems.
- Energy audits, energy efficiency and energy managements
- Energy efficient in buildings
Natural Resources Management
- Hydrological Modeling and Integrated Watershed Modeling (including sediment transport, storm analysis)
- Hydraulic Modeling and Simulation (physical, mathematical and numerical)
- Hydrology of Arid and Semi-Arid Regions (incl. groundwater)
- Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM)
- Coastal Engineering (incl. sediment transport, ecosystem conservation)
- River Basin Engineering
- Nonconventional Water Resources (desalination, water reuse …etc.)
- Irrigation and Drainage Engineering Studies
- Optimization of Water Resources Conjunctive Use
- Climate Change Impact Assessment (Water Cycle)
- Applications of Remote Sensing and GIS In Water Resources and Sewer Systems
- Natural Resources Mapping and Assessment using Remote Sensing and GIS Technologies
Environmental Assessment and Management
- Sustainability and sustainable development
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental management for sustaining a green environment
- Cleaner production for green industry
- Green healthcare units
- Climate change
- Water and waste water management
- Air quality assessment and monitoring
- Sustainable cities
- Waste assessment and management
- Sustainable development goals
- Wastewater Treatment Technologies
- Industrial Waste Treatment and Management
- Biofuels, chemicals and bio-fertilizers production from solid wastes
- Hydrogen and Methane Generation from Waste Materials
- Waste Recycling and Management
- Applications of Nanotechnologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Sludge Treatment
- Advanced Oxidation Processes
- Application of water chemistry and microbiology for treatment of organic and inorganic pollutant
- Air Pollution Assessment and Control
- Climate Change and Sustainability (Greenhouse Effect)
- Indoor Air Quality Improvement Techniques
- Assessment of Emissions from Industries and Minimization Techniques
Desalination using solar Energy
- Design of new solar collectors using nanofluids and its applications in water desalination
- Desalination Using Capacitive Deionization Techniques.
Design of wastewater treatment units and its applications
- Advanced Oxidation Techniques such as Plasma for Water Purification.
- Photocatalysis and its applications in water treatment
- Using New materials as ion exchange for water treatment
- Preparation of New electrodes and it applications for wastewater treatment by electrooxidation techniques.
Preparation of Nano-materials and its applications
- Ion exchange
- Fuel cells
- Preparation of New Smart Materials and its applications for corrosion control
Catalysis and its applications
- Photocataysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, Production of new chemical and petrochemical materials.
- Electrocatalysis and its Applications in Supercapacitors, Batteries, Sensors and Biosensors.
- Enzyme-catalysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, production of foodstuffs and pharmaceutical materials.
Membrane fabrication and modifications and its applications in
- Desalination and Ultrafiltration processes.
- Fuel cells and Hydrogen production
- Separation processes.
Design of Micro-reactor and its applications such as:
- Preparation of fine chemicals, food stuffs and pharmaceutical drugs, etc..
Development of new polymeric materials:
- Composites, insulators, fibrous materials and conducting polymers, etc.
Biodiesel production from agricultural and oil wastes
Chemical and Petrochemicals operations development and performance improvement
- Distillation, liquid extraction, gas absorption, crystallisation, adsorption, and many other separation techniques performance and productivity improvement.
Institute of Basic and Applied Sciences
- CNFs and graphene-based materials for supercapacitor, batteries, thermoelectric, sensors applications.
- Scalable production of conductive graphene inks for 2D and 3D printed flexible electronics.
- Nano catalysis based graphene for micro-reaction systems and FTs synthesis applications.
- Nanostructured coatings for corrosion protection and thermal management.
- Preparation of conducting polymers for sensors, catalysis, drug delivery & super adsorbents.
- Preparation of mesoporous materials for sensors, catalysis, drug delivery & super adsorbents.
- Utilization of carbon nanostructures for photodynamic therapy (Medical applications)
- Solar fuels: Artificial photosynthesis for solar energy conversion
- Photodynamic studies of carbon nanostructures by using laser photolysis techniques
- Fabrication of mesoporous materials for monitoring and removing toxic and radioactive species in water
- Medical / Pharmaceutical Biotechnology: Biomarkers; therapeutics.
- Microbiological Biotechnology: Host – pathogen interface, bio-active products
- Environmental Biotechnology: pollutants, ecosystems.
- Agricultural Biotechnology: Pest / disease control; GMO’s.
- Numerical methods, analysis and computation
- Computational methods for differential equations
- Fractional calculus and applications
- Dynamical systems
- Stochastic modelling
- Boundary layer problems
- Optimal control problems
- Applications of computational mathematics to science and engineering
- Novel Solar Cells Materials and Device
- Room Temperature Quantum Emitters
- Carbon Quantum Dots and their Photonic Applications
- Physics of Ultra-thin films for Quantum Electronics
- Green Synthesis of Quantum Dots with Tunable Quantum Yield
- Quantum Dots for Air Pollutants Control