Research Areas (Faculty of Engineering)
1. Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Systems
• Development of integrated circuits for wireless power transfer systems
• Development of low phase noise CMOS oscillators for millimeter wave applications
• Sensors electronics
• Radio frequency transceivers design
• RF-CMOS Front-end (LNA, PA, Mixer, VCO, VGA)
2. Digital System Architecture and Design
• Application specific, reconfigurable, and embedded architectures
• Networks-on-Chip, Network processor and router architectures
• Parallel and multi-core systems
• Ultra low power and energy efficient architecture design
• High Performance Computing/Processing Systems
• Security Architectures/Secure Design of Embedded Systems
• Neuromorphic computing
• High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265)
• Embedded Machine Vision Systems
• Wireless body area networks
3. Digital Signal Processing
• Image and Video Processing
• Speech and Audio processing
• Multi-dimension Signal Processing and Stochastic Processes
• Multimedia Systems
• Pattern Recognition
• Computer Vision and Image Analysis
• Adaptive Filtering Design
• Sparse Signal Processing and Applications
• Compressive sensing
• Biomedical Signal Processing
4. Wireless Communication Systems
• 5G Communication System
• Broadband Wireless Systems
• PHY layer Design
• Coding for communication Systems
• Cognitive and software – Defined Radio
• PHY layer security
• Wireless-Optical Communication
5. Photonics Communications Systems
• Silicon Photonics and Photonic Crystals
• Visible Light Communications (VLC)
• Free-Space Optics (FSO)
• Digital Signal Processing for optical Communication
• Optical Space- Division Multiplexing (SDM)
• Coherent Light wave Systems
• Optical transport and Access Networks
• Information Theory and Coding
6. Microwave Engineering and Remote Sensing
• Wireless Power Transfer Systems
• Nano- Antennas and passive Devices
• Antenna and Resonators for Imaging Technologies
• Microwave and 60GHz mm Wave Antennas and Circuits
• Antenna and Rectennas for IOT Applications
• Energy harvesting for Implantable and wearable devices
• Diagnostic and therapeutic Electromagnetic Applications
• Smart Antennas and Adaptive Antenna Arrays
• Antennas for Medical Applications
• Antenna imaging Technologies
• Antenna System for 5G Communication
• Frequency and Time Domain Techniques for Antenna and Microwave Devices
• Reconfigurable Antennas and Arrays
• Novel Electromagnetic Materials
• Remote Sensing and Satellite Observation
1. Parallel Computing
• High Performance Computing
• Heterogeneous Systems/Accelerators
• HPC on the Cloud
• High Performance Embedded Systems/Edge Computing
• Big Data Processing and Knowledge Discovery from Data
• Parallelizing Compilers
• Dynamic Binary Translation
• Cloud Security/Homomorphic Encryption
• Analytical Performance Modelling
• Quantum Computing
• Neuro-Processing Acceleration
2. Mobile Wireless Networking and Computing
• Indoor Localization
• Calibration-free localization
• GPS replacement technologies
• Device-free localization
• Device-free activity recognition
• Automatic construction of indoor floor plans
• Cognitive radio networks
• Software-defined networks
3. Cyber-Physical Systems
• Machine Learning
• Computer-Aided Drug Design
• Road Traffic Control, Modeling, and Simulation
• Computational Robotics
• Human Activity Recognition
• Rigorous Simulation of Dynamical Systems
• Computable Analysis
4. Intelligent Systems
• Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
• AI and Multi-Agent Systems
• Natural Language Understanding
• Computational Intelligence
5. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
• Object/Person/Face Detection
• Object/Face Recognition
• Object/People Tracking
• Human Activity Recognition
• Optical Character Recognition
• Image Segmentation
• Feature Detection/Description/Matching
• Video Surveillance
• Large-Scale Visual Recognition
• Vision Computing on Modern Parallel Architectures
6. Theory and Analysis of Algorithms
• Analysis of Algorithms
• Data Structures
• Graph Algorithms
• Queuing models
• Matrix analytic method
• Markov decision processes
• Performance evaluation and optimization
1. Bio-Mechatronic Systems
• Surgical Robots
• Rehabilitation Robots and Assistive Devices
• Human-Robot Interaction
• Prosthetic Devices
• Smart Medical Devices
• Bio-Inspired Robots
2. Magnetic Suspension and Bearing Systems
• Control of Magnetic Bearing Systems
• Applications of Magnetic Bearing in Medical Field
• Magnetically Levitated Wind Turbine
• Robots with magnetic bearing joints
• Vibration Isolation Systems Using Magnetic suspension
• Self-Bearing (Bearingless) Motors
3. Intelligent Mechatronics Systems
• Flying/Walking Robot.
• Tele-Operation Systems.
• Aerial manipulation systems
• Multi-Locomotion Robots
• Legged Robots
• Wearable Vehicle
• Brain-Based Devices
• Micro/Nano Manipulation
• Parallel Manipulators
• Swarm Robots
• Intelligent control of Smart Actuators
• Nonlinear Vibration System.
• Smart Structures
4. Field and Service Robots
• Mobile robot exploration, navigation and control
• Rescue Robots
• Inspection Robot
• Climbing Robots.
• Robot Motion Control in Unstructured Area
• Landmines Detection Robots
• Indoor Service Robot.
• Insect-killing Robot
• Solar Powered Rover
• Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, AUV
• Agriculture Robots
• Mining Robots
• Forestry Robots
• Construction Robots
• Aerial-Underwater Robots
5. Micro/Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems
• Tactile Sensing Systems
• Micro Smart Sensor/ Actuators
• Micro Energy Harvesting Devices
• Micro Flying Robot
• Microfluidics Systems
• Aerial-Underwater Robots
6.Micro/Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems
• Tactile Sensing Systems
• Smart Sensor/ Actuators
• Energy Harvesting Devices
• Micro Flying Robot
• Microfluidics Systems
1. Industrial Engineering:
• Integrated Berth Allocation and Quay Crane Assignment in Container Terminals.
• Operations research applications in container terminals.
• Discrete Event Simulation of Container Terminals.
• Discrete Event Simulation in production and service management.
• Equipment scheduling in automated and smart container terminals.
• The pollution routing problem.
• Operations Research Application in Healthcare Planning and Management.
• Smart Grid Management and Optimization Models
• Optimization application in energy systems management
• Optimization application in water resources management systems
• Applied operations research in crop planning.
2. Manufacturing Engineering
• Modeling and Simulation of Metal Cutting Processes.
• Correlating Additive Manufacturing and Product Characteristics.
• Machine Tool/Process Interaction.
• Chatter occurrence in cutting processes
•Characterization of Ultrasonic-Assisted Milling.
• Ultrasonic Assisted Machining of Hard-to-cut Materials.
• Abrasive Water Jet Machining.
1. Nano-materials for energy, sensing, environmental and electronic applications
• Perovskite, CTS, Organic and Quantum Dot Photovoltaic Solar Cells: Fundamental Investigation & Device Engineering.
• Nanomaterials for Gas Sensing Applications; Fundamental Investigation& Device Engineering.
• Carbon Nanostructured Materials (Graphene, Carbon Nanofibers and CNTs): Synthesis, Charactrization and Device Engineering in Supercacitors/Batteries/Fuel Cells applications.
• Nano-Piezo Electronic Materials: Approaches to Energy Scavenging.
• Strain Gauge Sensors: Materials and Fabrications.
• Thin Film and Bulk Nanostructured Thermoelectric Materials.
• Plasmonic Nanostructuted Materials as Photo-thermal Membranes.
• CNTs and Graphene-Based Materials for printed and Flexible Electronic Application.
• Photo catalysis and Environmental Catalysis for Hydrogen Generation and Fisher Tropcsh Synthesis.
• Modeling and Simulation of Nanostructured Materials for Science and Energy Systems.
• Corrosion and Super-hydrophobic Coatings with Self-heating Properties.
• Chitosan, Chitosan-Nanoparticles and Nanofibers Preparation and Characterization For Tissue Engineering And Drug Systems.
• Electro spun Nanofibers and its Applications in Water Desalination and Energy
• Materials of Solar Water Desalination
• Materials of Solar Hydrogen Generation
2. Mechanics of materials: Modeling, Simulation and characterization(properties, stress, strain and displacement)
• Mechanics of Friction stir welding of similar and dissimilar materials
• Mechanical electrical properties of biological materials and heart tissues
• Mechanics of microforming and micro-laser drilling
• Mechanical and electrical properties of Hydroxyapatite
• Modeling and simulation of nano-pieso electric materials
• Multi-physics and multi-scale analysis techniques.
• Evolution of boundary elements in fracture mechanics
• Material models on macro and micro levels for metals,polymer and nanocomposites
• Dynamic mechanical properties of composites and nano-composites
• Laser processing of steels .
• Hot Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites
• Formability of Ultrafine-Grained Structures
• Mechanical Processing of New TWIP Stainless Steels
• Evaluation of The Fatigue Performance of New High Strength Materials For Structural Engineering Applications
Stir casting of metal matrix composites
Laser welding similar and dissimilar materials
Crashworthiness of high strength steels, Modeling and Simulation, experiments
Properties of advanced materials for thermal memory
• Ultra-high strength, super-alloys and high entropy alloys
• Dental, bio-implants, and bio-degradable metallic materials
• Bulk-nanostructure materials and severe plastic deformation
• Improved castability and cold workability of metals and alloys
• Shape memory and superelastic alloys for sensing, biomedical, and structural application
• Metal and metal-oxides nano-tubes and nano-rods (production, characterization and applications
• Structural High Temperature Alloys for Power Plants Applications (Design, Production and Characterization)
• Bulk-Nanostructured Thermo-Electric Alloys
• Metals and Oxides for Radiation Sensing And Shielding
• High Temperature Superconductors
1- Renewable Energy systems
• Design of Solar Energy Systems
• Thermal Regulation of PV Systems Using Nanotechnology
• Renewable energy driven systems
• Smart Energy Grids
• Thermoelectric System
• Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
• Power Plants and Thermal Compart
• Multi-Phase Flows
• Flow in Porous Media
• Heat and Mass Transfer with Applications to Energy Systems
• Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
• Heat Pipe
• Desalination Systems
• Micro-and Nano Scale Flows
• Multiscale Computations (Continuum-Meso- Molecular Dynamic Simulation)
3- Alternative energy systems
• Fuel Cell Technology
• Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells
• Direct Methanol Fuel Cells
• Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
• Solar Hydrogen Production
• Photoelectrochemical Cells
• Photovoltaic/Photoelectrochemical Cells
4- Energy Storage Systems
• Thermal Energy Storage
• Mechanical Energy Storage
• Electrochemical Energy Storage
• Hydrogen Storage
• Energy Storage Systems for Grid Support
5- Energy Conservation and Management
• Electric Vehicle and Fuel Cell Vehicle Energy Management Systems
• Intelligent Energy Management Strategies for PV-Wind–Fuel Cell- Energy Storage Hybrid Systems.
• Energy Audits, Energy Efficiency and Energy Managements
6- Fuel and Combustion Engines
• Spray and Liquid Atomization
• Alternative and low grade fuels.
• Internal Combustion Engines
• Biomass Gasification and Carbonization
1-Water Resources Engineering
a.Nonconventional Water Resources (desalination, water reuse and their applications including)
Integrated Thermal and membrane desalination
Renewable Energy Driven Desalination
Nuclear Power Plants - Desalination
Agriculture Greenhouse - Desalination systems
Tri - hybrid generation of water, electricity and cooling system
Other desalination related R&D Applications
b. Groundwater Modeling / Management (Salt water Intrusion)
c. Applications of remote sensing and modeling of evapotranspiration.
2-Environmental Assessment and Management
• Sustainability and Sustainable Development
• Environmental Impact Assessment
• Environmental Management for Sustaining a Green Environment
• Cleaner Production for Green Industry
• Green Healthcare Units
• Nuclear safety management
• Climate Change
• Air Pollution Assessment and Control
• Climate Change and Sustainability (Greenhouse Effect)
• Indoor Air Quality Improvement Techniques
• Assessment of Emissions from Industries and Minimization Techniques
1.Design and Applications of separation Processes
Improving the performance and design of a new systems suitable for separation processes such as, Distillation, Liquid-Liquid Extraction, Gas Absorption, Adsorption, Membrane Separation, etc ….
2. Desalination using solar Energy
• Design of new solar collectors using nanofluids and its applications in water desalination
• Desalination Using Capacitive Deionization Techniques.
3. Design of wastewater treatment units and its applications
• Advanced Oxidation Techniques such as Plasma for Water Purification.
• Photocatalysis and its applications in water treatment
• Using New materials as ion exchange for water treatment
• Preparation of New electrodes and it applications for wastewater treatment by electrooxidation techniques.
4. Preparation of Nano-materials and its applications
• Ion exchange
• Fuel cells
5. Corrosion Protection
• Preparation of New Smart Materials and its applications for corrosion control
6. Catalysis and its applications
• Photocataysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, Production of new chemical and petrochemical materials.
• Electrocatalysis and its Applications in Supercapacitors, Batteries, Sensors and Biosensors.
• Enzyme-catalysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, production of foodstuffs and pharmaceutical materials
7. Membrane fabrication and modifications and its applications in
• Desalination and Ultrafiltration processes.
• Fuel cells and Hydrogen production
• Separation processes.
8. Design of Micro-reactor and its applications such as:
• Preparation of fine chemicals, food stuffs and pharmaceutical drugs, etc..
9. Development of new polymeric materials:
• Composites, insulators, fibrous materials and conducting polymers, etc.
10. Biodiesel production from agricultural and oil wastes.