Faculty of Engineering
Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Systems
- Design of integrated circuits for wireless power transfer systems
- Design of low phase noise CMOS oscillators for millimeter wave applications
- Sensors electronics
- Radio frequency transceivers design
- RF-CMOS Front-end (LNA, PA, Mixer, VCO, VGA)
- RFID systems
Digital and Embedded Systems
- Application specific and reconfigurable architectures
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) and System-on-Chip
- Embedded systems
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265)
- Versatile Video Coding (VVC/H.266)
- Machine vision systems
- Human body communication
- Wireless body area networks
- Parallel and multi-core systems
- High Performance Computing/Processing Systems
Digital Signal Processing
- Image and Video Processing
- Speech and Audio processing
- Multi-dimension Signal Processing and Stochastic Processes
- Multimedia Systems
- Pattern Recognition
- Computer Vision and Image Analysis
- Adaptive Filtering Design
- Sparse Signal Processing and Applications
- Compressive sensing
Wireless Communication Systems
- 5G Communication System
- Machine learning and deep learning applications in communication systems
- Broadband Wireless Systems
- PHY layer Design
- Coding for communication Systems
- Quantum commination
- Cognitive and software – Defined Radio
- PHY layer security
- Wireless-Optical Communication
Photonics Communications Systems
- Quantum Information Theory
- Silicon Photonics and Photonic Crystals
- Visible Light Communications (VLC)
- Free-Space Optics (FSO)
- Digital Signal Processing for Optical Communications
- Coherent Lightwave Systems
Microwave Engineering and Remote Sensing
- Wireless Power Transfer Systems
- Microwave engineering applications of machine learning
- AI/ML for RF and Mm-Wave
- Nano- Antennas and passive Devices
- Antenna and Resonators for Imaging Technologies
- Microwave and 60GHz mm Wave Antennas and Circuits
- Antenna and Rectennas for IOT Applications
- Energy harvesting for Implantable and wearable devices
- Microwave and mm-wave wireless Energy harvesting
- Diagnostic and therapeutic Electromagnetic Applications
- Frequency and Time Domain Techniques for Antenna and Microwave Devices
- Reconfigurable Antennas and Arrays
- Novel Electromagnetic Materials
- Remote Sensing and Satellite Observation
- Microwave in quantum computing and devices
- Chip less RFID
- MHz-to-THz device modeling
- Mm- wave and THz systems for sensing and communications
3D- Printer antenna and RF components
Biomedical and Bioinformatics Engineering
- Biomedical Signal Processing.
- Biomedical imaging, image processing and visualization.
- Video techniques for medical images.
- Biomedical engineering and nanotechnology.
- Biomedical devices, sensors, and artificial organs.
- Bio-signal processing and analysis.
- Biometric and bio-measurement.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- Biomedical applications of IoT.
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Health Care Systems.
- Machine learning in Bioinformatics.
- E-Health technology and devices.
- E-Health information processing.
- Health monitoring systems and wearable system
- Telemedicine/E-Health application and services.
- DNA and RNA structure, function and sequence analysis.
- Gene engineering and protein engineering.
- Computer aided diagnosis.
- High performance architecture
- Matrix / Vector processing
- Processor architecture
- Performance Evaluation of parallel Architectures
- Multi-core / Many –core Processors
- Hardware visualization
- FPGA/ SystemC Implementation
- Industry 4.0
- EDGE Intelligence
- High Performance Computing
- Heterogeneous Systems/Accelerators
- HPC on the Cloud
- High Performance Embedded Systems
- Big Data Processing and Knowledge Discovery from Data
- Parallelizing Compilers
- Dynamic Binary Translation
- Analytical Performance Modelling
- Quantum Computing
- Neuro-Processing Acceleration
- Cloud Computing
- Wireless Networks
- Delay-tolerant networks
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Interconnected Vehicles
- Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks
- Cellar Networks and 5G and Beyond
- Cloud/Centralized Radio Access Network (C-RAN)
- Fog/Edge Computing
- Indoor Localization
- Calibration-free localization
- GPS replacement technologies
- Device-free localization
- Device-free activity recognition
- Automatic construction of indoor floor plans
- Cognitive radio networks
- Software-defined networks
Computer Security and Cryptography
- Network Security
- Information Security and Cryptography
- Computer Security
- Wireless network security
- IoT Security
- Vehicular Network Security
- Smart City Security
- Cloud Security
- Cyber Security
- Homomorphic Encryption
- Machine Learning
- Computer-Aided Drug Design
- Road Traffic Control, Modeling, and Simulation
- Computational Robotics
- Human Activity Recognition
- Rigorous Simulation of Dynamical Systems
- Computable Analysis
- Deep Learning
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- AI and Multi-Agent Systems
- Natural Language Understanding
- Computational Intelligence
- Computational Intelligence/ soft computing (Neural Networks – Fuzzy Inference Systems – Evolutionary Computing)
Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition:
- Object/Person/Face Detection
- Object/Face Recognition
- Object/People Tracking
- Human Activity Recognition
- Optical Character Recognition
- Image Segmentation
- 3D Computer Vision
- Feature Detection/Description/Matching
- Video Surveillance
- Large-Scale Visual Recognition
- Vision Computing on Modern Parallel Architectures
Theory and Analysis of Algorithms:
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Data Structures
- Computational Geometry
- Graph Algorithms
- Amortized Complexity
- Algorithms for Computer Graphics and Visualization
- Queuing Theory
- Stochastic Optimization
- Performance Evaluation
- Cognitive Radio Network
- Health Care Application
- Surgical Robots
- Rehabilitation Robots and Assistive Devices
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Assistive robots for care tasks around the head
- Prosthetic Devices
- Smart Medical Devices
- Bio-Inspired Robots
Magnetic Suspension and Bearing Systems
- Control of Magnetic Bearing Systems
- Applications of Magnetic Bearing in Medical Field
- Magnetically Levitated Wind Turbine
- Robots with Magnetic Bearing Joints
- Vibration Isolation Systems Using Magnetic Suspension
- Self-Bearing (Bearingless) Motors.
Intelligent Mechatronics Systems
- Flying/Walking Robot.
- Tele-Operation Systems.
- Aerial Manipulation Systems
- Multi-Locomotion Robots
- Legged Robots
- Wearable Vehicle
- Brain-Based Devices
- Micro/Nano Manipulation
- Parallel Manipulators
- Swarm Robots
- Intelligent control of Smart Actuators
- Nonlinear vibration system
- Smart Structures
Field and Service Robots
- Mobile Robot Exploration, Navigation and Control
- Rescue Robots
- Inspection Robot
- Climbing Robots
- Robot Motion Control in Unstructured Area
- Landmines Detection Robots
- Indoor Service Robot.
- Insect-Killing Robot
- Solar Powered Rover
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, AUV
- Agriculture Robots
- Mining Robots
- Forestry Robots
- Construction Robots
- Aerial-Underwater Robots
Micro/Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems
- Tactile Sensing Systems
- Smart Sensor/ Actuators
- Energy Harvesting Devices
- Micro Flying Robot
- Microfluidics Systems
Applied Operations Research Laboratory
Container Terminal Planning and Analysis Applications
- Integrated Berth Allocation and Quay Crane Assignment.
- Discrete Event Simulation applications.
- Container Vessel Stowage Planning.
- Operating Room Planning and Scheduling.
- Nurse Planning and Scheduling.
- Simulation optimization of healthcare operations.
Energy and sustainability Management Applications
- Smart Grid Management and Optimization Models.
- Crop planning and irrigation water management and optimization.
- Green Vehicle Routing Problem/Pollution routing problem.
- Electric vehicle related problems: charging stations location allocation
- Autonomous trucks logistics problems.
- Ride hailing/sharing models.
Supply Chain Management and applications
- Data analytics based inventory and production planning and
- The joint replenishment problem.
Conventional Machining Laboratory
- Modelling and Simulation of Metal Cutting Processes.
- Ultrasonic-Assisted Machining (Milling or Drilling).
- Machining of Hard-to-Cut Materials (Milling or Drilling)
- Dynamic Interaction between Feed Drive Systems and Cutting Process
In Milling Machines.
- Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis of Rotating and Reciprocating Machinery
Machine- Tool / Cutting Process Interaction
- Multi- Directional Ultrasonic- Assisted Milling of Hard-to-cut Materials.
- Chatter Occurrence and prevention in Milling of Thin-Walled Parts.
Machine- Tool / Milling process Interaction
Nano-materials for energy, sensing, environmental and electronic applications
- Perovskite, CTS, Organic and Quantum Dot Photovoltaic Solar Cells: Fundamental Investigation & Device Engineering.
- Nanomaterials for Gas Sensing Applications; Fundamental Investigation& Device Engineering.
- Carbon Nanostructured Materials (Graphene, Carbon Nanofibers and CNTs): Synthesis, Charactrization and Device Engineering in Supercacitors/Batteries/Fuel Cells applications.
- Nano-Piezo Electronic Materials: Approaches to Energy Scavenging.
- Strain Gauge Sensors: Materials and Fabrications.
- Thin Film and Bulk Nanostructured Thermoelectric Materials.
- Plasmonic Nanostructuted Materials as Photo-thermal Membranes.
- CNTs and Graphene-Based Materials for printed and Flexible Electronic Application.
- Photo catalysis and Environmental Catalysis for Hydrogen Generation and Fisher Tropcsh Synthesis.
- Modeling and Simulation of Nanostructured Materials for Science and Energy Systems.
- Corrosion and Super-hydrophobic Coatings with Self-healing Properties.
- Chitosan, Chitosan-Nanoparticles and Nanofibers Preparation and Characterization For Tissue Engineering And Drug Systems
- Electro spun Nanofibers and its Applications in Water Desalination and Energy
- Materials of Solar Water Desalination
- Materials of Solar Hydrogen Generation
Mechanics of materials: Modeling, Simulation and characterization (properties, stress, strain and displacement)
- Mechanics of Friction Stir Welding of Similar and Dissimilar Materials
- Mechanical Electrical Properties of Biological Materials and Heart Tissues
- Mechanics of Microforming and Micro-Laser Drilling
- Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Hydroxyapatite
- Modeling and Simulation of Nano-Pieso Electric Materials
- Multi-Physics and Multi-Scale Analysis Techniques.
- Evolution of Boundary Elements in Fracture Mechanics
- Material Models On Macro and Micro Levels for metals, polymer and nanocomposites
- Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Composites and Nano-Composites
- Laser Processing of Steels
- Hot Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites
- Formability of Ultrafine-Grained Structures
- Mechanical Processing of New TWIP Stainless Steels
- Evaluation of The Fatigue Performance of New High Strength Materials for Structural Engineering Applications
- Superplastic forming
- Stir casting of metal matrix composites
- Laser welding similar and dissimilar materials
- Crashworthiness of high strength steels, Modeling and Simulation, experiments
- Properties of advanced materials for thermal memory
- Hydroxyapetite : Preparation, Properties and Its Applications
Advanced Functional Metallic Materials (Design, Processing and Characterization)
- Ultra-High Strength, Super-Alloys and High Entropy Alloys
- Dental, Bio-Implants, And Bio-Degradable Metallic Materials
- Bulk-Nanostructure Materials and Severe Plastic Deformation
- Improved Castability and Cold Workability of Metals and Alloys
- Shape Memory and Superelastic Alloys for Sensing, Biomedical, And Structural Application
- Metal and Metal-Oxides Nano-Tubes and Nano-Rods (Production, Characterization and Applications
- Structural High Temperature Alloys for Power Plants Applications (Design, Production and Characterization)
- Bulk-Nanostructured Thermo-Electric Alloys
- Metals and oxides for radiation sensing and shielding.
- High Temperature Superconductors
Materials for Environmental and Biomedical Applications
- Free standing carbon-based membranes for water treatment and desalination.
- High performance patterned polymeric membranes for water treatment and desalination.
- 2D material-based membranes for wastewater treatment and desalination.
- 3D polymeric nanocomposites for efficient separation of oil/water mixtures and nanoemulsions.
- Silk-based nanocomposites for electronic, optoelectronic, drug delivery and environmental applications.
- Electrospun nanofibrous scaffolds for bone generation, cell growth control and cancer therapy.
- 3D printed lab-on-chip devices for water analysis, oil removal, virus detection and biosensors.
- Bioink formulation and 3d printing of materials and devices for personalized medicine applications.
- Hybrid graphene/TMDs nanocomposites for water treatment, energy storage and IoT applications.
- Antiviral polymeric filaments for 3D prototyping and manufacturing of personal protection kits.
Polymeric and Composites materials
- Nanofiber formation technologies (electrospinning, solution blown, centrifugal spinning) and its applications (medical, energy, filtration…etc)
- Sustainable or green composites for industrial applications
- Lignocellulosic materials for engineering application
- Natural fiber for industrial application
- Nonwoven fabrics for technical applications
- Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRP) and it applications
- Wearable and smart textile materials and its applications
- 3D fibrous composites materials
- Improving UV resistance of polymeric materials
Alternative Energy Systems
- Concentrator Photovoltaic (CPV/T) systems-Design and fabrication-Performance analysis
- Thermal regulation of Concentrator Photovoltaic (CPV/T) systems using Nanotechnology
- Hybrid Concentrator Photovoltaic/Thermoelectric power generator (CPV/TEG/T)-Design and performance evaluation- Modeling & Experiments
- Wind turbine aerodynamics - Modeling & Experiments
- Fuel Cell Technology (PEMFCs, DMFCs, and SOFCs)- Modeling & Experiments
- Solar Hydrogen production via Photoelectrochemical cells or Concentrator Photovoltaic/ Photoelectrochemical cells - Modeling & Experiments
- Thermal Hydraulic of nuclear reactors- Modeling & Experiments
- Geothermal energy in industrial applications- Modeling & Experiments
- Integrated Concentrated Solar Power (CSP)- desalination systems- Modeling & Experiments
Fluid Science and Engineering Laboratory
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
- Micro-and Nano scale flows- Modeling, simulation, and Experimentation
- Flow in porous media- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
- Complex fluids-Modeling & simulation
- Spray systems - Design and characterization- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
- Multi-phase flows- Modeling, simulation, and Experimentation
- Multiscale Computations (Continuum-Meso), Molecular Dynamic Simulation
- Blood flow- Modeling, simulation, Experimentation
- Respiratory system- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
Thermal Energy Systems Laboratory
- Solar-driven adsorption cooling systems
- Solar-driven multigeneration systems
- Hybrid adsorption desalination-cooling systems
- Thermally driven desalination systems
- Desiccant cooling systems
- Renewable energy-based hybrid adsorption-vapor compression refrigeration systems
- Hybrid absorption systems
- Thermal energy storage
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Solar energy utilization in water harvesting from atmospheric air
- Solar systems for energy-efficient housing
- Heat and mass transfer with applications to energy systems
Renewable Energy Systems
§ Design of solar energy system
§ Thermoelectric System
§ Renewable energy- driven seawater desalination
§ Solar systems for energy-efficient housing
§ Renewable energy systems
§ Energy applications in buildings
§ Thermal energy storage application in energy system
§ Heat Pipe
§ Heat and mass Transfer
§ Thermochemical energy storage
§ Solar cells
§ Wind Energy
§ Renewable energy resources applications
Fuel and Combustion Engines
- Performance of Compression Ignition Engines
- Alternative, Cleaner and Low-Grade Fuels
- Morphology and Nanostructure of soot
- Nanoparticles Synthesis using CI engines and Flames
- Biomass Gasification and Carbonization
- Integrated Combustion-Renewable Energy systems
- Gas-to-liquid (GTL)
- Spray and Liquid Atomization
- Droplet Heating and Evaporation
- Wastewater Treatment Technologies
- Industrial Waste Treatment and Management
- Biofuels, chemicals and bio-fertilizers production from solid wastes
- Hydrogen and Methane Generation from Waste Materials
- Waste Recycling and Management
- Applications of Nanotechnologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Sludge Treatment
- Advanced Oxidation Processes
- Application of water chemistry and microbiology for treatment of organic and inorganic pollutant
- Sustainability and sustainable development
- Environmental impact assessment
- Sustainable cities
- In-plant Control
- Cleaner Production
- Climate change Related to SDGs 2030
- Policy, strategy, control and management aspects of water quality.
- Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM)
- Applications of Remote Sensing and GIS In Water Resources and Sewer Systems
- Sustainability of Water Supply Systems.
- Sustainable ecosystem management
- Environmental Management for Sustaining a Green Environment
- Sustainable buildings and cities
- Greening the Built Environment
- Passive architecture and urban environment
- Building energy efficiency
- Impact of climate change on the design of energy efficient buildings
- Adapting urban planning for climate change
- Thermal mitigation effects of urban vegetation
- Natural ventilation efficiency of houses by using computational techniques
- Remote sensing and its applications in urban planning.
- Satellite images analysis to assess the surface thermal distribution in urban areas.
- Building materials for hot and humid climate
- Air Pollution Assessment and Control
- Implementation of Nanotechnology for Pollution Control and Detection
- Sensors and Detectors Technology
- Assessment of Industrial Emissions
- Climate Change and Sustainability (Greenhouse Effect)
- Indoor Air Quality Improvement Techniques
Design and Applications of separation Processes
Improving the performance and design of a new systems suitable for separation processes such as, Distillation, Liquid-Liquid Extraction, Gas Absorption, Adsorption, Membrane Separation, etc ….
Desalination using solar Energy
- Design of new solar collectors using nanofluids and its applications in water desalination
- Desalination Using Capacitive Deionization Techniques.
Design of wastewater treatment units and its applications
- Advanced Oxidation Techniques such as Plasma for Water Purification.
- Photocatalysis and its applications in water treatment
- Using New materials as ion exchange for water treatment
- Preparation of New electrodes and it applications for wastewater treatment by electrooxidation techniques.
Preparation of Nano-materials and its applications
- Ion exchange
- Fuel cells
- Preparation of New Smart Materials and its applications for corrosion control
Catalysis and its applications.
- Photocataysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, Production of new chemical and petrochemical materials.
- Electrocatalysis and its Applications in Supercapacitors, Batteries, Sensors and Biosensors.
- Enzyme-catalysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, production of foodstuffs and pharmaceutical materials.
Membrane fabrication and modifications and its applications in
- Desalination and Ultrafiltration processes.
- Fuel cells and Hydrogen production
- Separation processes.
Design of Micro-reactor and its applications such as:
- Preparation of fine chemicals, food stuffs and pharmaceutical drugs, etc.
Development of new polymeric materials:
- Composites, insulators, fibrous materials and conducting polymers, etc.
Biodiesel production from agricultural and oil wastes.
Power System Planning, Operation and Control
- Power system stability
- Power system reliability
- Power system flexibility
- Power system resilience
- Power system security
- Flexible alternating current transmission systems (FACTS) applied to power systems
- Application of optimization methods to power systems
- Power system protection
- Monitoring and online diagnosis
- Control and Measurements of Power Systems
Networks for Renewable Generation
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Distributed Generation and Hybrid Energy Systems
- Micro grids and active distribution networks
- Virtual power plants and demand response
- Security assessment and risk analysis in renewable energy
- Assessment and the impacts of high penetration of renewable energy
- System side technologies/controls for renewable energy integration
- Demand side technologies/controls for renewable energy integration
- Grid modeling, simulation, and data management
- Energy Management Systems
- Wide Area Protection, Communication, and Control in Energy Systems
- New Trends and Technologies for Smart Grid
- Policies and Strategies for Smart Grid
- Novel energy conversion studies in smart grid systems
- Microgrids for transportation electrification
- Power Devices and Driving Circuits for Smart Grid
- Decision Support Systems for Smart Grid
- ICT, IoT, Real-time monitoring and control
- Smart metering, measurement, instrumentation, and control
- Impact of Smart Grid on Distributed Energy Resources
- Energy storage technologies and systems
- Smart homes, cities, communities
- Smart energy grid education
- Market structure and operation
- Transmission cost/loss allocation
- Congestion management
- Pricing of energy and ancillary services
- Impact of renewable energy integration on Energy market operation
- Modelling aspects of energy storage systems
- Control and planning of centralized and distributed energy storage
- Grid Scale energy storage
- Management and control of large number of distributed small storage, V2G and similar
Power electronics and machine drives
- Electrical machines analysis and design
- Solid-state control of electric machine drives
- Power electronics converters
- Power electronics for renewable energy systems
B-Programs Available for MSc degree only (eleven programs)
- Machine learning for the edge
- Security for Internet of things
- Sensor design
- Wireless communications.
- Media Processing.
- Embedded systems applications
- Machine learning for the wireless communications systems.
- Next Generation communication systems.
- Security of wireless communications.
- Software defined radio and software defined networks.
- Media Communications.
- Embedded systems for wireless communications.
- Computer vision
- Image Motion / Tracking
- Object Recognition / Scene understanding
- Biomedical Image/Video Analysis
- Multimedia Analysis
- Wireless power transfer systems and standards
- Wireless Power Transfer for biomedical implants and medical devices
- WPT for Home/industrial applications
- Engineering wireless power into roadway
- RFID and electronic tags
- Integrated circuits for wireless power transfer and energy harvesting systems
- EMC/EMI, shielding and co-existence of wireless power and signal transfer
- DGS components and circuits for WPT
- Embedded machine vision
- Reconfigurable architectures
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs)
- Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN)
- Embedded systems applications
- Silicon Photonics and Photonic Crystals.
- Visible Light Communications (VLC).
- Quantum Information Theory.
- Digital Signal Processing for Optical Communications.
- Coherent Lightwave Systems.
- Arabic/English Natural Language Processing.
- Video Content Analytics
- Human Activity Recognition
- Speech Analysis
- Accelerating data analytics systems
- Intelligent Transportation Systems Cybersecurity
- System and Network Security
- Digital forensics
- Intrusion Detection and mitigation
- Dynamic risk management
- SDN security
- Critical infrastructure security
- Smart cities security
- Virtualization security
- Security and Privacy for Industry 4.0
- Security and Privacy in IoT
- National security and cyber policies
- Cyber autonomy and automation
- Artificial Intelligence in Cybersecurity
- use neuroscience theories to improve the design and control of robots, and use robots to study neuroscience.
- restoration and augmentation of human function via direct interactions between the nervous system and artificial devices (including brain-computer interfaces and neuroprosthetics).
- Queueing systems
- Sequential decisions under uncertainty
- Smart storage and retrieval systems
- Optimal trajectory planning of robots
Intermediate-Scale Noisy Quantum Computing System
- Compilation Optimisation
- Quantum programming languages
- Noise mitigation
- Quantum-Inspired algorithms
- Automatic quantum state generation
- Novel quantum algorithms
Quantum Machine Learning