Faculty of Engineering
Students are required to pass successfully an entrance examination that focuses on the students’ academic background in the related program and on their analytical abilities.
Entrance exam will include two parts, one hour each. The first part is a general graduate examination and the second is a technical examination.
The first part is general Exam:
The general examination part (one hour exam) will mainly focus on assessing the student’s creativity required for him/her to make a transition to being a distinguished independent researcher; the exam would include both multiple-choice and essay writing questions to access the student’s ability to think outside of the box (lateral thinking), how well he/she can analyse ideas (mainly analytical and mathematical ability), and finally how practical he/she is to transform ideas into research/artefacts (logical reasoning and scientific arguing abilities).
The second part (Subject Exam):
The technical examination part (one-hour exam) assess the student’s basic scientific background in the following specialization for each department as follows:
A- Programs Available for MSc and PhD degrees: (nine programs)
- Electronics and Communications Entrance Exam (Multiple-Choice Questions):
- Analog and Digital Communications & Optics.
- Digital Signal Processing.
- Analog and Digital Electronics & Microwaves
- Biomedical and Bioinformatics Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering Entrance Exam
- Discrete Mathematics and Probability
- Algorithms and Data Structure
- Computer Programming
- Systems (Architecture, Operating Systems, and Networking)
- Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering Entrance Exam (Multiple-Choice Questions + Written Short Answers Questions):
- Automatic control
- Machine Design
4.Industrial Engineering and Systems Management
Industrial Engineering concentration:
- Linear programming applications (formulation -graphical solution-sensitivity analysis – simplex method- transportation models)
- Project planning
- Operations Management (forecasting- deterministic inventory models – line balancing- Operations Scheduling – Production planning – Material Requirement Planning).
- Network models (shortest path – minimum spanning tree – maximum flow problem)
Manufacturing Engineering Concentration:
- Traditional Machining Processes (Cutting Conditions – Tool Life)
- Non-Conventional Machining (EDM – ECM – Water Jet Machining – Plasma Jet Machining – Laser Cutting)
- Mechanical design, Mechanical Vibration, and Machine tool Dynamics
- Materials Science and Engineering Entrance Exam:
- Basics of metallurgy (Crystal structure, phase transformation, solidification, deformation, thermodynamics)
- Materials selection
- Basics of Electrochemistry
- Polymer and composite materials
- Basics of glass and ceramics
- Basics of organic and analytical chemistry
- Materials Properties
- Materials characterization
- Mechanics of materials (stress and strain)
6.Energy Resources Engineering Entrance Exam (Multiple-Choice Questions):
Energy Resources Engineering Entrance Exam (Multiple-Choice Questions) covers the following areas: Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Combustion Engineering, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Heat Exchangers, Renewable and Alternative Energy systems
- Environmental Engineering (ENV) Entrance Exam:
- Environmental Assessment and Management.
- Air quality
- Waste treatment
- Chemicals and Petrochemicals Engineering Entrance Exam:
- Basic Chemical and Petrochemicals Engineering Principles
- Thermodynamics and kinetics
- Physical Chemistry.
- Separation Processes.
- Environmental Chemistry and Corrosion.
- Process Control.
- Electrical Power Engineering Exam:
- Electrical machine
- Power electronics
- Electrical power system
- Distribution System
- Energy utilization
- Energy conversion
B-Programs Available for MSc degree only (eleven programs)