Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Systems
Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Design of integrated circuits for wireless power transfer systems
- Design of low phase noise CMOS oscillators for millimeter wave applications
- Sensors electronics
- Radio frequency transceivers design
- RF-CMOS Front-end (LNA, PA, Mixer, VCO, VGA)
- RFID systems
- Digital and Embedded Systems
- Application specific and reconfigurable architectures
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) and System-on-Chip
- Embedded systems
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265)
- Versatile Video Coding (VVC/H.266)
- Machine vision systems
- Human body communication
- Wireless body area networks
- Embedded systems for IoT applications
- High Performance Computing/Processing Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Image and Video Processing Using Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Speech and Audio processing
- Multi-dimension Signal Processing and Stochastic Processes
- Multimedia Systems
- Pattern Recognition
- Computer Vision and Image Analysis
- Adaptive Filtering Design
- Sparse Signal Processing and Applications
- Smart and precision agriculture.
- Wireless Communication Systems
- 5G/6G and beyond Communication System.
- Machine learning and deep learning applications in communication systems
- Broadband Wireless Systems
- PHY layer Design
- Coding for communication Systems
- Quantum commination
- Cognitive and software – Defined Radio
- Ultra-low power wireless communication systems.
- Aerial and vertical wireless networks.
- PHY layer security
- Wireless-Optical Communication
- IoT communications and networks.
- Photonics Communications Systems
- Silicon Photonics and Photonic Crystals
- Visible Light Communications (VLC)
- Free-Space Optics (FSO)
- Quantum Information Theory
- Digital Signal Processing for Optical Communications
- Coherent Lightwave Systems
- Microwave Engineering and Remote Sensing
- Wireless Power Transfer Systems
- Batteryless Internet of Things (IoT) Sensing Systems Using Green RF Energy
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)/ Machine Learning (ML) for RF and Antennas
- Nano- Antennas and Passive Devices
- Antenna and Resonators for Imaging Technologies
- Microwave and 60GHz mm Wave Antennas and Circuits
- Antenna and Rectennas for IOT Applications
- Energy Harvesting for Implantable and Wearable Devices
- Microwave and mm-wave Wireless Energy Harvesting
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Electromagnetic Applications
- Frequency and Time Domain Techniques for Antennas and HF Devices
- Reconfigurable Antennas and Arrays
- Novel Electromagnetic Materials
- Remote Sensing and Satellite Observation
- Microwave in Quantum Computing and Devices
- Antennas on Glass
- Virtual Window in Glass Using FSS
- Chip less RFID and NFC
- MHz-to-THz Sensors for Healthcare Applications
- Mm- wave and THz Systems for Sensing and Communications
- 3D- Printed Antenna and RF Components
Biomedical and Bioinformatics Engineering.
- Biomedical Signal Processing.
- Biomedical imaging, image processing and visualization.
- Image and video and processing for medical images using machine learning and deep learning.
- Biomedical engineering and nanotechnology.
- Biomedical devices, sensors, and artificial organs.
- Bio-signal processing and analysis.
- Biometric and bio-measurement.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- Biomedical applications of IoT.
- Biomedical applications using machine learning and deep learning.
- Virtual reality and augmented reality systems.
- Wearable and Implantable Systems.
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Health Care Systems.
- Machine learning in Bioinformatics.
- E-Health technology and devices.
- E-Health information processing.
- Health monitoring systems and wearable system
- Deep Learning for Telemedicine/E-Health applications and services.
- Telemedicine/E-Health application and services.
- DNA and RNA structure, function and sequence analysis.
- Gene engineering and protein engineering.
- Computer aided diagnosis.
Computer Science and Engineering
Parallel Computing & Computer Architecture
- High Performance Computing
- Heterogeneous Systems/Accelerators
- Parallelizing Compilers
- Quantum Computing
- Neuro-Processing Acceleration
- High Performance Architecture
- Processor architecture
- Multicore / Many–core Processors
- FPGA/ System Implementation
Computer Networks & Cyber Security
- Cloud Computing and Fog/Edge Computing
- Wireless Networks
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Interconnected Vehicles
- Cellular Networks and 5G and Beyond
- Cloud/Centralized Radio Access Network (C-RAN)
- Cognitive Radio Networks
- Software-defined networks
- Network Security
- Wireless Network Security
- IoT Security
- Machine Learning
- Activity Recognition
- Natural Language Understanding
- Embedded Systems and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Learning in Resource-constrained Settings
- Embedded Machine Learning.
Intelligent Systems & Computer Vision
- Deep Learning
- Data Mining
- AI and Multi-Agent Systems
- Object/Person/Face Detection
- Optical Character Recognition
- Image Segmentation
- 3D Computer Vision
- Feature Engineering
- Video Surveillance
Computer Science and Engineering Research Main Themes
- Health Care
- Smart City
- Industry 4.0
- Quantum Computing Engineering
Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering
Intelligent Advanced Mechatronics Systems
- Flying/Walking Robot/ Wheeled Robots/ Legged Robots.
- Tele-Operation Systems.
- Aerial Manipulation Systems
- Multi-Locomotion Robots
- Parallel Manipulators
- Attitude/Altitude Stabilization Systems
- Swarm Robots
- Energy Harvesting Systems
- Electro-Mechanical Resonators
- Smart Structures
- Field and Service Robots
- Mobile Robot Exploration, Navigation and Control
- Rescue Robots
- Inspection Robot
- Climbing Robots
- Robot Motion Control in Unstructured Area
- Landmines Detection Robots
- Indoor Service Robot.
- Insect-Killing Robot
- Solar Powered Rover
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, AUV
- Agriculture Robots
- Mining Robots
- Forestry Robots
- Construction Robots
- Aerial-Underwater Robots
- Identification of robots
Micro/Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems
- Tactile sensors
- Tactile display
- Smart Sensor/ Actuators
- Energy Harvesting Devices
- Micro Flying Robot
- Microfluidics Systems
- Micro temperature sensors.
- Micro droplet formation for PCR application
- Micro thermal heater and its applications
- Land mine detection sensors
- Development of micro pump or medical applications
- 2 DoF Energy Harvesting devices from Human motion
- Piezoelectric / Electromagnetic Harvesting Devices
- Frequency tuning Energy Harvesting Devices
- 3D Energy Harvesting systems
- Frequency-Up Conversion Energy Harvesting device
- Gas sensors for environmental and medical application
- Micro optics devices
- Rehabilitation/healthcare robots/ Assistive robots
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Prosthetic Devices
- Bio-Inspired Robots
- Brain-Based Devices
- Advanced Mechatronics-Medical Devices
- Upper and lower limbs Assistive Devices
- Surgical Robots
- Embedded Systems for Automotives
- Autonomous Driving
- Electronic Suspension and Steering System
- Intelligent suspension system
- Advanced Driving Assistance System
Artificial Intelligence in Mechatronics and Robotics:
- Deep Learning-based Robot Control.
- Deep Learning-based Robot Vision and Perception.
- Intelligent Visual Servoing.
- Reinforcement Learning in Robotics Systems.
- Imitation learning/ Learning by Demonstrations (LbD) of Robotic Systems.
- Intelligent Control of Robotics Systems.
- Behavior-based Robotics.
- Transfer Learning in Robotics and Mechatronics Systems.
- Embodied Intelligence in Robotics Systems.
Bio-Inspired Soft Robotics Lab
- Modeling of soft actuators
- Multi-material fluidic actuators
- Soft Wearable sensors
- Embodied Soft Intelligence
- Soft Serial manipulation
- Soft Mobile manipulation
- Soft End-effector
- Soft robotic gripper
- Soft Artificial Muscles
- Soft Wearables Suites
- Soft Artificial Skin
- Soft-folding modular robot
- Soft Biped Robots
- Soft ROV
- Soft Flapping Robots
- Morphological computing
Modern Control Systems:
- 1. Sliding Mode Control of Mechatronics Systems
- 2. Robust Control of Uncertain Mechatronics Systems.
- 3. Mu-Synthesis of Nonlinear systems.
- 4. Nonlinear Model Predictive Control of rigid, soft, hybrid Robotic system.
- 5. Moving Horizon State Estimation
- 6. identification of fixable multibody and mechatronics systems.
- 7. Feedforward control of dynamic systems.
- 8. Data-driven control systems.
Industrial Engineering and Systems Management
Applied Operations Research Laboratory
Container Terminal Planning and Analysis Applications
- Integrated Berth Allocation and Quay Crane Assignment.
- Discrete Event Simulation applications.
- Container Vessel Stowage Planning.
- Healthcare applications
- Operating Room Planning and Scheduling.
- Nurse Planning and Scheduling.
- Simulation optimization of healthcare operations.
- Energy and sustainability Management Applications
- Smart Grid Management and Optimization Models.
- Crop planning and irrigation water management and optimization.
- Logistics Applications
- Green Vehicle Routing Problem/Pollution routing problem.
- Electric vehicle related problems: charging stations location allocation
- Autonomous trucks logistics problems.
- Ride hailing/sharing models.
- Supply Chain Management and applications
- Data analytics based inventory and production planning and
- The joint replenishment problem.
Conventional Machining Laboratory
- Modelling and Simulation of Metal Cutting Processes.
- Ultrasonic-Assisted Machining (Milling or Drilling).
- Machining of Hard-to-Cut Materials (Milling or Drilling)
- Dynamic Interaction between Feed Drive Systems and Cutting Process in Milling Machines.
Machine-Tool / Cutting Process Interaction
- Multi-Directional Ultrasonic-Assisted Milling of Hard-to-Cut Materials.
- Chatter Occurrence and Prevention in Milling of Thin-Walled Parts.
- Machine-Tool / Milling Process Interaction.
Machinery Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis
- Early Fault Detection and Diagnosis of Rotating Machinery Components.
- Design and Control of Magnetic Bearings for Wind Turbine Systems
- Remaining Useful Life Estimation of Rolling Element Bearings.
Tribology and its application in Rotating Machinery
- Bio-tribology using green grease/ green oil.
- Nanotribology using advanced nano materials as lubricant additives
Materials Science and Engineering
Nano-materials for energy, sensing, environmental and electronic applications
- Perovskite, CTS, Organic and Quantum Dot Photovoltaic Solar Cells: Fundamental Investigation & Device Engineering.
- Nanomaterials for Gas Sensing Applications; Fundamental Investigation& Device Engineering.
- Carbon Nanostructured Materials (Graphene, Carbon Nanofibers and CNTs): Synthesis, Charactrization and Device Engineering in Supercacitors/Batteries/Fuel Cells applications.
- Nano-Piezo Electronic Materials: Approaches to Energy Scavenging.
- Strain Gauge Sensors: Materials and Fabrications.
- Thin Film and Bulk Nanostructured Thermoelectric Materials.
- Plasmonic Nanostructuted Materials as Photo-thermal Membranes.
- CNTs and Graphene-Based Materials for printed and Flexible Electronic Application.
- Photo catalysis and Environmental Catalysis for Hydrogen Generation and Fisher Tropcsh Synthesis.
- Modeling and Simulation of Nanostructured Materials for Science and Energy Systems.
- Corrosion and Super-hydrophobic Coatings with Self-healing Properties.
- Chitosan, Chitosan-Nanoparticles and Nanofibers Preparation and Characterization For Tissue Engineering And Drug Systems
- Electro spun Nanofibers and its Applications in Water Desalination and Energy
- Materials of Solar Water Desalination
- Materials of Solar Hydrogen Generation
Mechanics of materials: Modeling, Simulation and characterization (properties, stress, strain and displacement)
- Mechanics of Friction Stir Welding of Similar and Dissimilar Materials
- Mechanical Electrical Properties of Biological Materials and Heart Tissues
- Mechanics of Microforming and Micro-Laser Drilling
- Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Hydroxyapatite
- Modeling and Simulation of Nano-Pieso Electric Materials
- Multi-Physics and Multi-Scale Analysis Techniques.
- Evolution of Boundary Elements in Fracture Mechanics
- Material Models On Macro and Micro Levels for metals, polymer and nanocomposites
- Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Composites and Nano-Composites
- Laser Processing of Steels
- Hot Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites
- Formability of Ultrafine-Grained Structures
- Mechanical Processing of New TWIP Stainless Steels
- Evaluation of The Fatigue Performance of New High Strength Materials for Structural Engineering Applications
- Superplastic forming
- Stir casting of metal matrix composites
- Laser welding similar and dissimilar materials
- Crashworthiness of high strength steels, Modeling and Simulation, experiments
- Properties of advanced materials for thermal memory
- Hydroxyapetite : Preparation, Properties and Its Applications
- <AFMM>Advanced Functional Metallic Materials (Design, Processing and Characterization)
- New Alloy Design Methodologies (including data engineering and machine learning)
- Micro/Macro laser processing of metal
- Energy Storage Materials
- 3D printing of ceramics, metals, and alloys (printability and characterization)
- Ultra-High Strength, Super-Alloys and High Entropy Alloys
- Dental, Bio-Implants, And Bio-Degradable Metallic Materials
- Shape Memory and Superelastic Alloys for Sensing, Biomedical, And Structural Application
- Bulk-Nanostructure Materials and Severe Plastic Deformation
- Improving Castability and Cold Workability of Metals and Alloys
- Metal and Metal-Oxides Nano-Tubes and Nano-Rods (Production, Characterization and Applications
- Structural High Temperature Alloys for Nuclear and Power Plants Applications (Design, Production and Characterization)
- High Temperature Superconductors and Thermo-Electric Alloys
- Sustainable or green composites for industrial applications
- Materials for Environmental and Biomedical Applications (MEBA)
- Free standing carbon-based membranes for water treatment and desalination.
- High performance patterned polymeric membranes for water treatment and desalination.
- 2D material-based membranes for wastewater treatment and desalination.
- 3D polymeric nanocomposites for efficient separation of oil/water mixtures and nanoemulsions.
- Bioink formulation and 3d printing of materials and devices for personalized medicine applications.
- Hybrid graphene/TMDs nanocomposites for water treatment and energy storage.
- Polymeric and Composites materials
- Nanofiber formation technologies (electrospinning, solution blown, centrifugal spinning) and its applications (medical, energy, filtration…etc)
- Sustainable or green composites for industrial applications
- Lignocellulosic materials for engineering application
- Natural fiber for industrial application
- Nonwoven fabrics for technical applications
- Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRP) and it applications
- Wearable and smart textile materials and its applications
- 3D fibrous composites materials
- Improving UV resistance of polymeric materials
Energy Resources Engineering
Alternative Energy Systems Laboratory
- Concentrator Photovoltaic (CPV/T) systems-Design and fabrication-Performance analysis
- Thermal regulation of Concentrator Photovoltaic (CPV/T) systems using Nanotechnology
- Hybrid Concentrator Photovoltaic/Thermoelectric power generator (CPV/TEG/T)-Design and performance evaluation- Modeling & Experiments
- Wind turbine aerodynamics - Modeling & Experiments
- Fuel Cell Technology (PEMFCs, DMFCs, and SOFCs)- Modeling & Experiments
- Solar Hydrogen production via Photoelectrochemical cells or Concentrator Photovoltaic/ Photoelectrochemical cells - Modeling & Experiments
- Thermal Hydraulic of nuclear reactors- Modeling & Experiments
- Geothermal energy in industrial applications- Modeling & Experiments
- Membrane desalination systems- Modeling & Experiments
Fluid Science and Engineering Laboratory
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
- Micro-and Nano scale flows- Modeling, simulation, and Experimentation
- Flow in porous media- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
- Complex fluid dynamics-Modeling & simulation
- Spray and liquid atomization systems - Design and characterization- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation.
- Multi-phase flows- Modeling, simulation, and Experimentation
- Multiscale Computations (Continuum-Meso), Molecular Dynamic Simulation
- Blood flow- Modeling, simulation, Experimentation
- Respiratory fluid mechanics- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
Renewable Energy Systems Laboratory
- Design of solar energy system
- Thermoelectric System
- Renewable energy- driven seawater desalination
- Solar systems for energy-efficient housing
- Renewable energy systems
- Renewable-energy-based multigeneration systems.
- Thermal energy storage application in renewable energy system
- Heat Pipe
- Heat and mass Transfer
- Solar cells
- Wind Energy
- Renewable energy resources applications
- Solar-driven adsorption cooling systems
- Solar-driven multigeneration systems
- Hybrid adsorption desalination-cooling systems
- Solar energy utilization in water harvesting from atmospheric air
- Solar systems for energy-efficient housing
- Renewable energy-based hybrid adsorption-vapor compression refrigeration systems
Fuel and Combustion Engines Laboratory
- Nanoparticles Synthesis using CI engines and Flames
- Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Burners
- Combustion and Co-combustion of Conventional and Green Fuels (H2, and NH3)
- Morphology and Nanostructure of soot
- Biomass Gasification and Carbonization
- Spray and Liquid Atomization
- Droplet Heating and Evaporation
- Performance of Compression Ignition Engines
- Alternative, Cleaner and Low-Grade Fuels
Energy Storage Systems Laboratory
- Energy storage systems including thermal, mechanical, electrochemical, and hydrogen storage.
- Energy management strategies for electric battery Storage Systems, electronic components, and aerospace applications.
- Passive and active cooling systems using innovative heat sink designs.
- Applications of energy storage in energy systems.
- Thermal energy storage in energy systems
Energy Conservation and Management
- Electric Vehicle and Fuel Cell Vehicle Energy Management Systems
- Intelligent Energy Management Strategies for PV-Wind–Fuel Cell- Energy Storage Hybrid Systems.
- Energy Audits, Energy Efficiency and Energy Managements
- Energy efficiency and energy management in buildings to create smart, zero-carbon infrastructures.
- Ground Source Heat Pump Systems (GHP) for energy management in residential and commercial buildings.
Refrigeration and air conditioning
Energy applications in buildings
Waste Treatment and Management Laboratory
· Wastewater Treatment Technologies
· Industrial Waste Treatment and Management
· Biofuels, chemicals and bio-fertilizers production from solid wastes
· Hydrogen and Methane Generation from Waste Materials
· Waste Recycling and Management
· Applications of Nanotechnologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment
· Sludge Treatment
· Advanced Oxidation Processes
· Application of water chemistry and microbiology for treatment of organic and
· Sustainability and sustainable development
· Environmental impact assessment
· Sustainable cities
· In-plant Control
· Cleaner Production
· Climate change Related to SDGs 2030
- Policy, strategy, control and management aspects of water quality.
- Artificial intelligence and smart wastewater management systems.
- Water 4.0 digital revolution.
- Municipal solid waste management.
- Hazardous waste management.
- Natural Resources Management Laboratory
· Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM)
· Applications of Remote Sensing and GIS In Water Resources, Sewer Systems, and
· Sustainability of Water Supply Systems.
· Coastal modeling, Sediment transport, Sediment yield, and Beach erosion Studies
· Impact of Climate Change on water resources /groundwater/ coastal regions
· Coastal Hazards Management and disaster risks
· Innovative coastal engineering/technologies to mitigate saltwater intrusion based
· Environmental Change Risk Analysis and assessment (storm surges, high waves,
and flash floods)
· Economic evaluation of coastal hazards and coastal adaptations to SLR
Environmental Assessment and Management Laboratory
· Environmental Management for Sustaining a Green Environment
· Sustainable buildings and cities
· Greening the Built Environment
· Passive architecture and urban environment
· Building energy efficiency
· Impact of climate change on the design of energy efficient buildings
· Adapting urban planning for climate change
· Thermal mitigation effects of urban vegetation
· Natural ventilation efficiency of houses by using computational techniques
· Remote sensing and its applications in urban planning.
· Satellite images analysis to assess the surface thermal distribution in urban areas.
· Building materials for hot and humid climate
Air Quality Laboratory
- Air Pollution Assessment and Control
- Implementation of Nanotechnology for Pollution Control and Detection
- Sensors and Detectors Technology
- Assessment of Industrial Emissions
- Climate Change and Sustainability (Greenhouse Effect)
- Indoor Air Quality Improvement Techniques
- Air Pollution filtration and treatment
Chemicals and Petrochemicals Engineering
Design and Applications of separation Processes
Improving the performance and design of a new systems suitable for separation processes such as, Distillation, Liquid-Liquid Extraction, Gas Absorption, Adsorption, Membrane Separation, etc ….
Desalination using solar Energy
- Design of new solar collectors using nanofluids and its applications in water desalination
- Desalination Using Capacitive Deionization Techniques.
- Design of wastewater treatment units and its applications
- Advanced Oxidation Techniques such as Plasma for Water Purification.
- Photocatalysis and its applications in water treatment
- Using New materials as ion exchange for water treatment
- Preparation of New electrodes and it applications for wastewater treatment by electrooxidation techniques.
- Preparation of Nano-materials and its applications
- Ion exchange
- Fuel cells
- Super capacitors and energy storage materials
- Corrosion Protection
- Preparation of New Smart Materials and its applications for corrosion control
- Catalysis and its applications.
- Photocataysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, Production of new chemical and petrochemical materials.
- Electrocatalysis and its Applications in Supercapacitors, Batteries, Sensors and Biosensors.
- Enzyme-catalysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, production of foodstuffs and pharmaceutical materials.
- Membrane fabrication and modifications and its applications in
- Desalination and Ultrafiltration processes.
- Membrane Distillation
- Fuel cells and Hydrogen production
- Separation processes.
Design of Micro-reactor and its applications such as:
- Preparation of fine chemicals, food stuffs and pharmaceutical drugs, etc.
- Development of new polymeric materials:
- Composites, insulators, fibrous materials and conducting polymers, etc.
- Biodiesel production from agricultural and oil wastes.
Waste plastic recycling.
Sequestration of heavy metals from aqueous environment.
Simulation study of carbon dioxide utilization at natural gas processing towards zero emissions.
Simulation study of BTEX utilization during natural gas dehydration towards zero emissions.
9- Electrical Power Engineering
Power System Planning, Operation and Control
- Power system stability
- Power system reliability
- Power system flexibility
- Power system resilience
- Power system security
- Flexible alternating current transmission systems (FACTS) applied to power systems
- Application of optimization methods to power systems
- Power system protection
- Monitoring and online diagnosis
- Control and Measurements of Power Systems
- Networks for Renewable Generation
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Distributed Generation and Hybrid Energy Systems
- Micro grids and active distribution networks
- Virtual power plants and demand response
- Security assessment and risk analysis in renewable energy
- Assessment and the impacts of high penetration of renewable energy
- System side technologies/controls for renewable energy integration
- Demand side technologies/controls for renewable energy integration
- Grid modeling, simulation, and data management
- Energy Management Systems
- Wide Area Protection, Communication, and Control in Energy Systems
- Smart Grid
- New Trends and Technologies for Smart Grid
- Internet of Energy
- Novel energy conversion studies in smart grid systems
- Microgrids for transportation electrification
- Power Devices and Driving Circuits for Smart Grid
- Decision Support Systems for Smart Grid
- ICT, IoT, Real-time monitoring and control
- Smart metering, measurement, instrumentation, and control
- Impact of Smart Grid on Distributed Energy Resources
- Energy storage technologies and systems
- Smart homes, cities, communities
- Smart energy grid education
- Energy Markets
- Market structure and operation
- Transmission cost/loss allocation
- Congestion management
- Pricing of energy and ancillary services
- Impact of renewable energy integration on Energy market operation
- Energy Storage
- Modelling aspects of energy storage systems
- Control and planning of centralized and distributed energy storage
- Grid Scale energy storage
- Management and control of large number of distributed small storage, V2G and similar
- Power electronics and machine drives
- Electrical machines analysis and design
- Solid-state control of electric machine drives
- Power electronics converters
- Power electronics for renewable energy systems